2013-09-03

Hagoita Flowers


Different shots of the flowers in the tokonoma alcove in the Japanese-style tatami-mat room.


If I had the time and money, I'd love to learn how to do ikebana flower arrangement since I have a place to put the flowers now.


These flowers were chosen by the local florist down the street. I told her what I wanted to do, and she suggested these flowers for the tokonoma alcove for this time of year.


Overall, this small bundle of flowers cost about 800 yen, which was a bit less than 10 dollars.


I hope the summer heat doesn't kill them right off. The florist suggested that I add ice cubes to the water in the vase to help keep the flowers fresh. 


Every morning, I change the water, clean out the vase, add ice cubes and a bit of water, and put the remaining flowers that still look fresh back into the vase. 


This is a wooden, Japanese hagoita paddle used the the Japanese-style badminton game called hanatsuki. This paddle was given to Kyoko when she was a little girl. She has had it ever since. I am glad she didn't throw it away!

Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment